The objective of this work is to apply and analyse various control methods for the cooler of a supercritical CO2 (sCO2) cycle.
sCO2 is a promising working medium for various next-generation applications, both in the field of renewable and conventional power generation (project sCO2-flex, SOLARSCO2OL, ShunShot, Misha) and in residual heat removal (project sCO2-4-NPP).
Within the scope of this work, the control of the cooler of the sCO2 cycle is analysed in detail. Controlling the cooler is challenging since it operates close to the critical point of CO2, where the thermodynamic properties exhibit a highly non-linear behaviour.
Applying Matlab and the simulation code ATHLET (Analysis of THermal-hydraulics of LEaks and Transients), the cooler is modelled based on existing models and tools. Afterwards, different approaches for the control of the cooler are implemented and tested over a wide range of conditions.
• Literature study on the sCO2 cooler (focusing on control)
• Familiarization with the existing code and tools
• Implementation of different control approaches
• Test of these approaches over a wide range of conditions
• Thesis preparation and presentation
• Fundamentals of thermodynamics, fluid dynamics and control
• Experience in programming preferably in Matlab
• Interest in simulation and control
• Analytical thinking and self-initiative
Start: as soon as possible
Dipl.-Ing. Markus Hofer
Pfaffenwaldring 31, 70569 Stuttgart
+49 (0) 711 685-60855
Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter / Doktorand